Sunday, July 31, 2011

Altered Clipboard...

I'm sorry there are sooo many postings today... I've been so far behind and finally decided that it was time to make blogging a priority!  I've been super busy at work!  "Work is the place that we are supposed to be able to go to and work hard for 8 hours to make a living so that we can live life"... instead the last 7 months "I have been living at work and having no life" - I'm not going to lie... I'm BURNED out! I've worked over 190 "comp" hours (since I'm salary) that I will never get back... I still have 240 hours of vacation to take before the end of the year or I lose them... Thus far I have taken 7 hours off... 7 hours in 7 months and that time was part of my "comp" hours.  What am I thinking... what am I doing... Does anyone at the office appreciate my personal sacrifice for the company... I don't think so. I called my dad the other day when I left work at 3:00 and he said "Did you get fired"?  He's used to me calling him at 8:00 at night.  I had some injections in my knees a few months back... I didn't take sick leave... I went right back to work and worked straight through the day with ice bags on both my knees. I am so tired of coming home at night and being mentally exhausted... I'm too tired to go down the stairs to my studio for days at a time. Weekends... I just want to be a bum... I don't want to go anywhere or do anything!

I made a big decision this past week... I am no longer going to work more than an 8 hour day... and I am going to use my vacation... all 30 days before the end of the year. I'm going to make sure that I make it to my studio each and every night... if for nothing else but to "catch up" on my friends blogs.  I've got so many projects I want to get started on... I'm hoping by putting this in writing I will make sure to follow through on my decision... and not feel pressured to have to stay at work to complete the next project handed to me... if it can't work it in to my 8 hours... oh well, I guess someone else will have to do it instead...

With all that said... we have all new pricing which gets really confusing.  I made us all binders with all of the pricing in it... but it's so big and bulky and the customer feels like we really don't know what we are doing or talking about.  I remembered I had bought a clip board years ago and one night decided to hit the studio and make a board that I could put a "cheat sheet" on that would sit off to the side of my computer and away from the customers... so I can actually quote prices and sound like I know what I'm talking about. 

First I painted the edges and in about an inch all around with purple paint.  Then I traced the board onto the back of my scrapbook paper and cut it out.  I used Mod Podge to adhere the paper to the wood on both the front and the back and let dry. I ended up cutting a little too much off of the top in the front... so I used some sticky backed mesh over the top...  I can't decide if I like just the ribbon on it... or if I am going to go back and put silk flowers on instead... since I'm OCD... I'm betting I will be adding flowers later... lol.  But can I just say... it works like a charm.
 

3 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Way to go you deserve a break it sounds like!! I say do it :) And the clipboards are adorable - they would make awesome teacher gifts!!

Anonymous said...

I think so. I think your article will give those people a good reminding. And they will express thanks to you later

Connie said...

That is wonderful that you have decided to cut back your hours. I am looking forward to seeing what projects you will be working on in your studio.

Cute clip board. I like it just the way it is.