Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmasary...


 The NEW Board...

Up close...
 Cards...
Christmasary...Vicki Style!

As promised... here it is....Christmasary!  (can you hear the drum roll)? Back some 20 + years ago... we used to play Pictionary all the time.  I'm not artistic in any way... but I still enjoyed playing.  I decided it would be fun to come up with a Christmas version (hence the name... Christmasary). I made cards (you can tell the top 3 cards were typed on a typewriter and then copied onto cardstock that's how old they are!)  I did the same 5 colors... as in Pictionary and did the " * " for all plays.  I did make a few changes... here is how I did it.

Yellow - Person - place or animal
Blue - Objects found around the holidays
Orange - Food that we eat around the holidays
Green - Difficult (yes... some of them are really hard!)
Pink - Christmas carol - You think you know them all... but try to draw them

We have always played on the Pictionary board... but this year I wanted to make a board that would be just for Christmasary.  I painted a wood board black... and used my Silhouette to cut all of the stars - snowflakes - gingerbread men - trees and ornaments out of vinyl . I made a "start" and "finish" and also the name of the game... Christmasary! Put a top coat of sealer over the board and vinyl and viola....our new game board!  For markers... we used peanut better cups!

We have found that with the "younger" generation... they don't know who Bing Crosby, Johnny Mathis, Currier & Ives - or what bubble lights are so Josh and I will be making a new set after the holidays... for next year. We need to update a few new ideas... and change a few of them that everyone gets cranky trying to draw...  like Fall Softly Snow. Let me know if you are interested and I will e-mail you the new cards when we are finished making them...
Or you can play... Win - Lose or Draw... I have printed out 150 Christmas "things" on cardstock (above) and it can be done on a dry erase board or just like Christmasary with teams using the board but everyone plays each time.

Traditions are so important... this one is has been in our family for 20+ years... and now that Kendra (Josh's girlfriend) loves playing it... I think it will stay a tradition! I may even have to make a few of these to give away for gifts next year! Merry Christmas!

10 comments:

Saimi said...

Wow, aren't you a clever one!! How fun what a perfect family Christmas game!! Very cool!

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

That is SO cool! My kids would love playing this!

Jessica said...

So cute, put me on the list for next year! Merry Christmas!!

Stacy Risenmay said...

WOW! So clever!!! Lots of work but I am sure just as much fun :)

Unknown said...

that looks like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

such an adorable idea!! Thanks so much for linking up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings. I am featuring this game in my features post, come by to get a button :)

And make sure to come by and link up next week!! www.ladybug-blessings.com

Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

Shirley said...

Hi I'm here for the first time. This sounds like fun! Would you mind e-mailing me the new cards when you are finished making them? Thank you.

Nikki said...

That is SO clever!!!! Thanks so much for linking it up! :)

nicole said...

Okay, those are both such fantastic games. I would love a copy of the new cards to make a version for our family. Whenever we get together we love to play games and either Christmasary or Win, Lose or Draw would be perfect. Happy holidays!

nmbailey239 at gmail dot com

Jennifer Lee said...

I just saw this via Pinterest and LOVE this idea. If you are still willing to email out the cards, would you please send them to me? My email is jenniferslaugh (at) hotmail (dot) com. Thanks!