Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Wood Roosters...

I was contacted by the designer of Wood Creations to see if I would do a tutorial for their blog followers... I was stoked! So I went to their store and picked out the wood I wanted to paint... and here is my tutorial!
First I sanded and penciled off where I wanted my beaks and combs to be on each of the roosters...
Next I cut out the patterned paper for each of the roosters ~ cutting off where the beak and comb would be... It won't always be perfect... but I like the sanded look so you can take off any "hang-over" with sand paper or emery board. I did add some black chalk to the yellow paper and red to the black ones... (I pretty much ended up sanding it off in the end) I just think it's easier to do it before it is on the wood.
I painted each of the beaks and combs with acrylic paint... I do a minimum of 2 coats
Next I painted all of the other wood pieces... I use an old flower pot filled with chili beans to hold my round pieces for drying...
After I had the roosters painted I thought... these would be so cute with vinyl dots... one in red and one in white and the other just left plain black... I think they would have been super cute that way too! The problem was I was not very careful with the red and gold paint since I knew that I would be putting pattern paper over the top...so maybe for the next set I do I will try that. Also... I'm very OCD (actually it should be CDO since it should be alphabetized too ;-) so you don't have to take the time to paint the whole front of the roosters ~ you can just do the edges...
Then it was Mod Podge time... I like to put it on both the wood piece and the pattern paper...
Line the paper up the best you can (again you will probably have a little "hang-over" and that's easy to sand off). I like to use a roller to get any bubbles out and also to seal the edges good.
I finished adding the paper to all 3 roosters. I usually wait about 5 to 10 minutes for the Mod Podge to dry before I start sanding. I also thought it might be fun to use some Fun Flock on the beaks and combs... you can see the dimension it gives to the beak... (the beak on the right has been covered)
Here is what the bottle of Fun Flock looks like... For easy clean up... I get a piece of paper to put under my project... then I brush over the spot I want the Fun Flock  to stick to with an adhesive (I used Mod Podge) and sprinkle it over the top. I usually apply it pretty heavy ~ then pat it gently into the adhesive. After a few minutes you can tap the back off the wood and the excess will fall back on the paper and then just pour it back into the jar...
Since my kitchen is mainly black... I started adding red accents and I love it... so I wanted the roosters to have red wings... I just could not find a pattern paper in the color of red I wanted... so I decided to use the Fun Flock on them... well they are feathers after all... they should be soft ;-) They would have looked better if I had painted them red first... but again I didn't think about that until after the Fun Flock was on the them. I attached them with E-6000 glue and let them dry...
I added a black jewel for there eyes (usually my projects all have green eyes but I thought the black looked better). Add some ribbon and tulle to the bottoms and look how cute! They were a little too tall for my spot under my cabinet... but they are going to look even cuter up on top of my cabinets (I have to wait until my son gets home from work to put them up for me). The wings look funny in this picture ~ but they don't look like this in person...
Thank you for letting me share my rooster project with you... A big thank-you to Kerrie and the Wood Creations staff for creating such cute wood pieces to keep every crafter happy!
Post a Comment