Sunday, August 15, 2010

Family Graffiti Board

Have you ever played on Wordle? If you haven't... you are missing out! It's fun to make word "clouds"! Last year I did one with our favorite players from the Dallas Cowboys (you can see this one on my personal blog) So I thought... why not try and make something with all of our family names... now mind you... I am an only child and Josh is an only child too... so I decided to start with my dad's parents... Arthur Lawrence Johnson and Clara Wilhelmina Speth and my mom's parents... Boyd LeRoy Larsen and Carole Ione Nielsen then my parents Blaine Loyal and Sharon Kae then me Vicki Carole (since Carole was already on the board I didn't use it again) Since Josh's dad and I were divorced when he was 2... I didn't put any of "his" side of the family... but I did include his first, middle and last name and last, but not least... my sweet boy Joshua and that is our family "graffiti" board. I started out with a 16 x 16 white painters canvass I have had laying around for a few years now...and painted it black. I didn't like the blue colors of the vinyl I had on hand... so I decided to use Bazzill cardstock.  I did cut the lettering with my Silhouette... have I told you... (I know I've been saying that in all of my posts lately...lol) The "fun" part was trying to decide where to put each name. After I had that figured out... I started at the corners and glued those names down... then I moved to the bottom and worked my way up the canvass. Since I didn't use vinyl... I used the blue painters tape to put my letters on so that they would be somewhat straight and put the glue on the back of the letters and pressed down... and slowly pealed back the tape while trying to make the letters stick to the canvass.. again... not easy when you don't have anything to press down on in the back of the canvass... Does that make sense?  After all of the letters were applied I added 2 light coats of  Modge Podge...if nothing else... it helped keep the letters attached! Voila!

23 comments:

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

I love this--it is so fun and personal!

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

such a creative piece of art!! I am trying Wordle for the first time - love it!

Tins and Treasures said...

We use Wordle for all kinds of projects in school. It's fun to see how it all comes together.

Have a great week. ~Natalie

Kristi Flanagan said...

It turned out great! Now I need to check out wordle! Thanks for planting your creative seeds at Plant a Punkin Seed Party!

Hugs,

Kristi
Punkin Seed Productions

Anonymous said...

that's a fun idea - never done a wordle..

Unknown said...

love wordle! never thought about what I could craft with it! come on over and link up to MMM!

Brenda said...

I love it! It turned out great! What FUN! Thanks for stopping by.
Thanks for visiting the pumpkin patch!

Have a great week! Love, Brenda

Crystal said...

I love this idea! Very cute.

cherished*vintage said...

Cute idea! My parents are a Larsen and a Nielsen just like your mothers parents - funny!
-Karoline

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Stopping over from Cheap Thrills...I love this idea. Word art is so cool and yours is personal. I'll have to check out wordle. Thanks for sharing!


heather

Holly Lefevre said...

What a wonderful craft. So personal and unique and family oriented. LOVE it.

Nikki said...

Cute! Reminds me of the ever popular subway art floating around the blogosphere :)
Thanks so much for linking it at gettin' crafty on hump day!

Kat @ Black Kats Design said...

Cute! I love wordles and your word cloud is great looking!

Thanks for linking up to the “Cheap Thrills Thursday” party at Black Kats Design. I hope you had fun and will join in again next Thursday!

Kat

www.BlackKatsDesign.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

Super Cute! I love Wordle! I love your blog and am your newest 'follower'!
Ashley @
noapologycrafts.blogspot.com

KimMalk said...

It's cute - can't wait to see your fabric projects ;).

Denise said...

Wow...this is really neat. I have used the program just on my computer, I never thought to then put it onto a different medium. I love being a part of this show and tell.
Thanks for sharing
www.dancinglydenise.typepad.com

Leslie said...

I love how fabulous this turned out! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

Lorie said...

It is beautiful!! You did a great job!

Lyndsey said...

I LOVE WORDLE!!!!Its so fun huh?!!

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

Hi Blog Friend, I wanted to make sure you know that I'm hosting a giveaway on my blog. Hop on over if you'd like to enter! (It's a couple of posts down on the home page.)
Warmly, Michelle

Janna said...

That is really cute! I've never heard of Wordle so I'll have to check it out. Thanks for visiting my blog.

An Experiment in Happiness said...

Very cute idea! Looks like fun!
~Jessica
http://myhappinessexperiment.blogspot.com/

Sherryd said...

I like this, I came across Wordle about a year ago, I have my own family sign by Wordle on the wall.